With Christmas around the corner, we hear a lot of talk about giving. The power in being able to give is a wonderful gift. There are many benefits to giving which is why so many of us LOVE to give and be of service to others. Here are just a few of the many benefits to giving!
- It makes us happy-These good feelings are reflected in our biology. In a 2006 study, Jorge Moll and colleagues at the National Institutes of Health found that when people give to charities, it activates regions of the brain associated with pleasure, social connection, and trust, creating a “warm glow” effect. Scientists also believe that altruistic behavior releases endorphins in the brain, producing the positive feeling known as the “helper’s high.”
- Giving is good for our health. A wide range of research has linked different forms of generosity to better health, even among the sick and elderly. In his book Why Good Things Happen to Good People, Stephen Post, a professor of preventative medicine at Stony Brook University, reports that giving to others has been shown to increase health benefits in people with chronic illness, including HIV and multiple sclerosis.
- Giving promotes cooperation and social connection. When you give, you’re more likely to get back: Several studies, including work by sociologists Brent Simpson and Robb Willer, have suggested that when you give to others, your generosity is likely to be rewarded by others down the line—sometimes by the person you gave to, sometimes by someone else.
- Giving evokes gratitude. Whether you’re on the giving or receiving end of a gift, that gift can elicit feelings of gratitude—it can be a way of expressing gratitude or instilling gratitude in the recipient. And research has found that gratitude is integral to happiness, health, and social bonds
- Giving is contagious. When we give, we don’t only help the immediate recipient of our gift. We also spur a ripple effect of generosity through our community.
We are proud to be partnering with ACES-Association of a Community Engaged in Sharing! This wonderful mission reminds us that we all need to work together, share with one another and be kind to one another!
Building an Integrated, socially cohesive society by facilitating positive interaction among different cultural, ethnic & religious communities in Canada, specifically Alberta.
Please visit the website, email or call for more inforamtion